Enjoy every spoonful of this lip-smacking Belize dessert Crème brûlée a la Better in Belize!
- 2 1/2 cups Western Dairies Fresh Cream
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- Pinch salt
- 5 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and arrange your baking cups in a deep baking dish.
- In a medium pot over moderately high heat, combine the cream, 1/2 of the sugar, the vanilla bean seeds AND pod, and the salt and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- While the cream mixture is coming to a boil, combine the egg yolks with the remaining sugar and whisk to combine all the ingredients. Slowly add 1/3 of the hot cream mixture to the yolks, whisking constantly, then add the remainder of the hot cream and stir fully. Ladle the custard into the baking cups.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and add hot water into the pan to reach the halfway mark on the sides of the baking cups. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes. The edges should be set, but the centre of the custard should jiggle when gently shaken. Bake times vary.
- Remove the baking cups from the pan and allow them to cool for 1/2 hour on a rack, then take out the baking cups and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Remove the baking cups from the fridge. Sprinkle the individual custards with a thin even layer of sugar, using about 1 tablespoon per custard. Caramelize the sugar by using a kitchen blowtorch. Serve immediately.